Tuesday 28 May 2013

Brrrr....


I think I might need a hot toddy tonight (whiskey, honey, cinammon, water - not too much - and all piping hot) because I've been coughing and sneezing since yesterday. Where is the fabled English Riviera I was promised? Thank goodness for the gardening jacket and my fingerless gloves!  Who can believe that June, Flaming June, will be busting out all over any day now?  I think it must have rained almost every single day since I put a permanent foot in the Devon door. Even Suki has been sneezing - mind you, I suppose that's to be expected, he is, after all, a Spaniard so is unused to our temperate climate and chaotic weather patterns. I can see him now, three legs or not, packing his little swag-bag and heading for the Continent, a bit like Dick Whittington in reverse.

I had a terrific idea today: to take a pic of the kitchen, before, after, during, and then email the pics to myself and then upload them here. Unfortunately, today is the day the phone chose to give up the ghost completely. I've managed to keep it going for a few weeks by keeping it plugged in but today it decided to shift this mortal coil and now I can't make/receive calls or text messages at all. Again, you'll just have to take my word for it that the vintage wallpaper looks great! I'm so happy with it - it was made for me: beiges/creams/crusty loaves/eggs/teapots/wheat. It's a shame that the plaster underneath appears to have blown.

It's hard work, such hard work to the extent that I've done very little for the past two days and even before then it was little enough. Tools are missing or rusty, boxes are too high or too heavy, things haven't arrived (fences, house name and so on) and it's so cold that it's a little difficult to say the least. I think I might need three strapping lads before too long.

Suki complains all the time and when he does manage to leg it out of the front he hunts down the peaceable neighbourhood cats and engages in pawsicuffs.  He's taken a dislike to one in particular - a sweet-faced little black and white moggy from next door who's crime really does deserve an asbo - he/she did his/her business in the front garden on the very first night the fences blew down; I think that's called taking the mickey. If only the local cats knew how Suki is really all mouth no trousers they'd just stand their ground and laugh at him: the only time he stops mewling is when he's on my knee - soft or what? I hope he gets over it soon, perhaps the move to Torquay was too much for him. Imagine the noise and mayhem if I'd gone ahead with my rescued chickens straight away - the flying feathers don't bear thinking about.

As for the raised beds, I can't do those until the new fencing is erected because I won't take the risk of losing anything. The water butt is still in the hallway together with the compost etc. What is exposed at the front, however, is 1800 litres of bagged peat and compost which cost me a pretty penny so I'm hoping that M's garden-chair-thieving-scummery doesn't take a stroll in my direction this evening.

The strawberries are growing well in their troughs and the tumbling tomatoes are flowering in their hanging baskets - they're the only things I've planted this year - so sad, but at least they seem to be doing well despite not being where they're supposed to be. The Star Jasmine is a different matter: it's looking decidedly sorry for itself at the moment and I'm worried that, if I don't get it planted out soon it will die and, again, that's something I can't/won't do until the fences are up. The clematis are thriving in their pots though so they're looking good to go when they're transplanted. I've also ordered a 7ft stake to support the remains of the lilac tree to help it flourish and protect it from the battering winds (optimistic much?) and I've discovered two garden lights that still work, albeit they're no longer attached to the wall because of the ivy.

One way or another, I promise to get pics to you soon. In the meantime, I know that if I do something, no matter how small, every day, I'll get there in the end. The paint for the front door and porch arrived today so that might be the next step - if the rain clears up, although I did make a bit of a pig's ear of the letter box - painting upside-down is not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...