Thursday 16 May 2013

Culture Shock

I finally made it down to Devon and I spent my first week in wide-eyed amazement and gratitude at the two elderly gents on the street who tipped their hats as they wished me a Good Morning and the neighbours who popped by to wish me well and offer help in the move.  To paraphrase: 'Suki, we're  not in London anymore'.  I think I may have found a corner of England in this foreign field.  A redoubt?

A great deal has happened in the past two weeks; the sky has fallen and the press have been all over it.  I don't think I've heard anything else on Radio4 (the only news station I've been able to access until now) apart from the retirement of a football manager and how it would be disastrous if we left the EU.  It's all a Conservative split, of course, and nothing to do with the people of this nation wanting a say in how their country is run.  Lord, how I despise politics and its spin.  At the risk of sounding serious I'll tell you that Torbay has a LibDem MP (Adrian Sanders) and a Conservative MEP (Giles Chichester).

Where I live, Wellswood, has its own 'village' shops and is a short bus ride from the harbour.  Everything is local, if you can afford it, even the Co-op.  After a week of only being able to limp to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, my back was better by Sunday morning so I went to buy papers and milk.  At the checkout:

"You don't look very happy; are you alright?"

My culture shock went into hyper-drive as I smiled and fumbled apologies for my 'London face'.

More later.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I just read your newest post over at Calling England and popped over. This is so exciting. I've debated doing a separate blog for my forays into gardening and what modicum of self-sufficiency I can still legally attain (did you know it's actually against the law in some states to college RAIN water in your yard for your plants?!!). Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading about your renovations and gardening. I can very much relate to your move as I did the same thing in 2011 (moved from Boston to the boonies in Florida--very happy I did, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fuzzy, thank you and welcome. I did read about the rainwater collection and wondered how long it would take to get over here (UN/Agenda21/EU) but so far there's no law against it though there are plenty under the guise of Health and Safety Regs. Agenda21 is making inroads into our society that you wouldn't believe and yet most UK voters don't seem to have heard of it.

    As for the house, it's tough going at the moment but once the heating and hot water is fixed and I've finally unpacked all the boxes things will become clearer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...