Wednesday 24 July 2013

All is for the best...

... in the best of all possible worlds or, to put it in English: 'mustn't grumble'.

Day One of the drops: one drop every two hours in left eye and one drop every four hours in the right. Tick.
Day Two: Only three times today - been out and about so couldn't stick to the regime - not looking hopeful for establishing a routine!

Have found a fab hairdresser; he was recommended by B, a neighbour, mainly because of price but I'd recommend him for doing a great job as well. He's the first since 1997/98 to give me the haircut I asked for all those years ago. Top tip: don't wear makeup when going to the hairdresser. Go completely bare-faced and if you look more gorgeous going out than you did going in then you know you've struck gold. If anyone wants his name/telno etc just email me and I'll be happy to pass it on. He also has a lovely little terrier called B who's a soft sweetheart. There are no frills, no added extras, just a good honest job. When I had my hair cut & highlighted in London it cost £108 - this time it's barely a third of that so that's another plus.

I now have two Cabbage Whites hovering and laying their eggs on my brassicas - I feel bad chasing them off but it's either them or me. I've found quite a few tiny green specks of caterpillars on the underside of the leaves and I'm squeamish about squashing so I've bought some organic pest control before I'm left with nothing at all.

P and C have almost finished the ch/hot water/bathroom. They would have finished today but when it came to fitting the bidet they discovered a manufacturing fault so the company is sending out a new one that will get here on Friday. The boys are taking tomorrow off anyway to let the system run and bed in and it also gives me time to go from room to room with my pen and notebook and make another 'little list' of what still needs to be done. There are only two more major-ish jobs I can think of at the moment: one is bookshelves, of which I need many all over the house, and the other is re-plastering the walls in the dining room alcove where there was once a cupboard housing a hot water cylinder - oh, and the fireplace that housed the Baxi back boiler. I need to measure up and find some nice Art Nouveau-ish tiles for that. It's all go!

The worst job, which I keep putting off, is to go through the piles of clothing on the floor and in the wardrobes and sort through them to see what still fits after two years in storage, what is still suitable given I'm no longer in Spain and a special bin bag (or three) for 'oh no, what was I thinking?' clothes.  Then it will all have to be washed, ironed and put somewhere.   On the other hand I could just bin the lot and start again - infinitely more preferable but definitely more expensive.  It looks like I have no choice but to pull my finger out.

I ordered the special carpet for the bathroom today so that should be fitted next week and at least one room will be decent. It's a gel-backed, waterproof, stain-proof, soft underfoot, marine blue and should look very nice indeed. The bath is fantastic - I must be a hedonist at heart - and everything is looking good to go. When everything gets too much I'll be able to lock myself in a lovely bathroom, surround myself with heavenly scents and drift away.

I hope it's all finished before too long because the Princess Theatre has some shows I'd love to see: Jersey Nights; Welsh National Opera; Sean Locke, the Vienna Festival Ballet and, say it softly, Rat Pack Live, which is some sort of tribute to Sinatra, Martin and Davis Jr ("charisma, panache and swagger").

Back soon with updates on the drops; they say it can take up to six weeks for definite improvement so I'll continue until I notice something - anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...