Tuesday 9 July 2013

Is there anybody out there?



My new mobile still hasn't arrived so I can't show you pics of the mess or the wilted cabbage and swede in the raised beds.  Think yourselves lucky ;)

P and C arrived bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday morning to sort out the central heating/hot water system and the bathroom.  My once clear front garden is again filling up with rubbish - old radiators, 30yr old gas fires, toilets, baths, pipes and all sorts of contraptions.  Fortunately I'd had the forethought to stake out the area for my raised beds and I managed to plant one of them today.  It actually took me three days: one to put it together, another to fill it with soil (carting 100L bags is no joke) and another to plant.  I doubt I'll get much this year because the cabbages and swedes were really sorry-looking by the time I planted them and some had to be discarded (over-watered in their original packaging) but, as usual, we'll see.  The heat may well finish them off.

I know I'm doing the gardening all wrong this season but I was so desperate for a corner of earth to cultivate and call my own again that I took chances with bought-in plantlets.  In another life I'd have grown from seed, nurtured in a greenhouse or conservatory and then planted out at the right time but this year hasn't been good for me so far in gardening terms and the timing is wrong.

I'm following the square foot gardening method - lots of produce in little space. It's a method by which you can grow successionally, week by week, month by month and feed a family with fruit and veg all year round.

Suki has settled in well now: he's very quiet and taken to sitting on one of the chairs in the front now that the weather is more reminiscent of his homeland. Apparently two neighbourhood cats died last week (one from a heart attack and another from old age) and that, no doubt, explains why he no longer feels the need to patrol the borders but is content to stay at home.

I met another neighbour today, C, who told me not to believe everything I hear from certain people in the neighbourhood. I learned very early on who are the gossips, which reminds me, I haven't seen A for ages now, not since he helped bring Suki back home. I wonder if he's attached? M has been holiday for the past two/three weeks so it's been quieter than usual around here.

For what it's worth, it may not be Yorkshire (nothing can ever compare) but Torquay is lovely: trees, sea, parks, people. It's the top, it's the Coliseum.



PS I almost forgot, though perhaps you'd rather not know, that last night I couldn't sleep so went downstairs to make a cup of tea. When I trod on something slippery on the way to the kitchen I thought nothing of it because I'd had red peppers for dinner and thought one might have slipped off my plate. I bent down, picked it up and, oh my! a slug. Cue screams and disinfectant. So gross. I'm seeing fewer woodlice too now so it can only be good and I hope that's the last of the slugs. Bleurgh!

2 comments:

  1. "Is there anybody out there?"

    Well, there is - but you don't seem to be answering.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've caught me bang to rights and it's a fair cop, guv. I'm not as punctilious as I used to be :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...